Entry-level intraoral scanner offers full-color digital scans at a low cost, an easy-to-use interface, simple file sharing, and impressive speed and accuracy
I acquired my first QuickScan 2 years ago when it was introduced at the International Dental Show in Cologne, Germany. Since then, I’ve been using it on a regular basis and have captured hundreds of digital scans.
The 3 clinicians in our office are beta testers for several leading scanner brands, so we know a thing or two about scanning technology. I have to say: The QuickScan IOS is not just a good scanner, it’s an incredible scanner. It may be a little guy, but it does a lot more than I expected it could do, and it keeps getting better.
I like QuickScan IOS for several reasons:
• Intuitive workflow. The user interface has been simplified, drop-down menus are self-evident, and the workflow is intuitive. On screen, the impression renders in full color, monochrome, and meshwork. It is open architecture, so scans can be exported in STL and PLY file formats to any lab with CAD/CAM software or to any open-treatment planning and design software.
• Ergonomic design. The handpiece is slender, making it easy to hold when rotating from occlusal to palatal and buccal surfaces—almost the opposite of typical handpieces, which are wider and heavier. I can get my fingers all the way around the QuickScan. That makes it easier to do a full-arch scan in one pass. I see no reason why I could not capture all surfaces for practically any typical case.
• Frequent upgrades. Denterprise comes out with new software features just about every quarter. When I first bought it, the user interface was just adequate. But I’m very impressed with this latest version. The interface is tremendously better.
• Other strengths. Good focal distance of 0–17 mm is important in smaller mouths. It captures in 3D video using triangulation, which allows for greater accuracy. The cable is standard USB, so if you break it, it’s easy to replace. The tips are much less expensive than other brands, so if I accidentally scratch the mirror, it’s no big deal.
• Cost effective. QuickScan is half the price or less than big-name scanners. Its speed is impressive, too, as it takes about 3 minutes for a typical scan, combined with accuracy of about 20 um.
QuickScan IOS is a brilliant entry-level scanner. While the savings in time and materials alone make it a no-brainer, it also offers an easy learning curve and a system that will grow with you in the future.
Dr. Isaac Tawil received his Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree from New York University College of Dental Surgery and has a Masters degree in Biology from Long Island University.
Dr. Tawil is the current President of AIE Advanced Implant Educators. Dr. Tawil has received his Diplomate from the International Academy of Dental Implantology as well as his fellowships with the International Congress of Oral Implantology, the Advanced Dental Implant Academy and recognition for Outstanding Achievement in dental implants from the Advanced Dental Implant Academy. He has received the President’s Service Award for his volunteer work in places such Honduras, Tijuana, Dominican Republic, China and Lima Peru. Dr. Tawil is a member of American Academy of Implant Dentistry, Academy of Osseointegration, the American Dental Association and the New York State Dental Association. Dr. Tawil lectures internationally on advanced dental implant procedures using the latest technology, including in China, Thailand Peru, Korea, Singapore, Japan, The Dominican Republic and Mexico. Dr. Tawil also teaches live surgical seminars in his office and abroad, as well as hands on courses globally. He has been featured in Inside Dentistry magazine, The Roundtable discussion group and has been published in several magazines including Tips and Catalyst. He has several webinars on Dental XP and Osseonews. Dr. Tawil has held Main Podium session and hands on workshops with AAID, AIMB, SENAME, SSER, ESCD, and IADI.
He maintains a general private practice in Brooklyn, NY, where he focuses on implant therapy. Dr. Tawil is also on faculty at Vizstara educational facility in Englewood, NJ. His interests are in advanced implant techniques and immediate placement.
- Diplomate, International Academy Dental Implantology
- Fellow, International Congress of Oral Implantology
- Fellow, Advanced Dental Implant Academy
- Presidential Service Award for Outstanding Achievement
- Faculty at Vizstara Institute, Englewood, NJ
- President, Advanced Implant Educators
- IV Sedation, Einstein Medical College, 2012
- Private Practice, Brooklyn, New York